Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day by Diane LeBleu

I recently had a dream in which I was describing my mother to a stranger who had not had to good fortune to meet Janet Ungurs. I told her this:

She’s one of the most thoughtful people I know.
She’s generous.
After my twin sister, she’s the only one who can
make me laugh until I cry about something my son has said or done.
She’s kind.
She has a great sense of humor.
She is a senior citizen and she still rides (relishes) roller coasters.
She will push Caroline in the swing until her sun starved skin turns lobster red.
She read Tops and Bottoms to Travis’ kindergarten class.
She joins me for a glass of wine when the five o’clock cocktail hour rolls around.
She serves her family selflessly over and over and over without complaint.
She watches HGTV with me when she visits.
She taught me about being a good example for my children.
She read chapter books to my siblings and me before bed.
She dragged my sister and brother to Sunday school so many years ago despite our moans and groans and now I know about the truth, the way, the life.

I awake as my list is interrupted by the cries in the night to which I must attend. I can fill pages with wonderful things about my mother but I’ll sum it up with this.

Happy Mother’s Day!
I love you dearly even if I do not say it as often as I should.

No comments: